Rambles Around Knitting Today and Yesterday

Rambles Around Knitting Today and Yesterday

Friday 23 March 2012

Little big heads - knitters beware

Zip up top for two year old
How time flies! My youngest grandchild has passed his second birthday already. Rather late in the day for a creative hand knit to add to his birthday booty I decided to haul out my old but trusty Knitmaster 155 knitting machine with its equally vintage KR6 knit radar.
To ring the changes on the standard raglan sleeve jumper I went for a cosy high neck with a front zip opening. I was quite pleased with the outcome. It had been a bit touch and go as to whether there was sufficient of the yarn I had selected which is a lovely pure wool in variegated grey browns - perfect chocolaty toddler camouflage.
A shame then that I had slightly underestimated the size of the young gentleman's head so that the garment had to come home with me again after a birthday outing to West Yorkshire. No matter how brainy you may think the infant it seems its very hard to be too generous when calculating the neck opening for a young child as the head's of all children are proportionally larger at that age.  Another lesson relearned the hard way! But its all OK now.

No comments:

Post a Comment