Rambles Around Knitting Today and Yesterday

Rambles Around Knitting Today and Yesterday

Wednesday 29 December 2010

The yellow brick road

Finally! the first recreation of an old family favourite is complete just in time for Christmas 2010 and a perfect fit for our youngest grand son, baby George, aged 10 months. This brings the simple brick pattern which my Grandma used to knit for us down through five generations and lives which span across three centuries. This is like the one I was wearing in the 1950's photo on my earlier post “Down by the Sea”.

Looking at it with my sister she was relieved I had been able to complete it with just two yarns remembering how when yarn was in short supply after the second world war, the brick pattern jumpers might be randomly completed in different colours if enough of the original could not be found.

George’s jumper was put together from five strands of machine coned yarn wound together. The exact fibre content is debateable as both colours were remnants from a job lot acquisition.  I don’t think either the brown or the quite lustrous camel is natural fibre but they have combined into a soft but fairly dense fabric, making a nice cosy jumper.

After a few false starts the simple slip stitch pattern was really easy as you only have to carry one colour across at any time and the alternate colour comes up the edge. There are loads of possible variations but if you would like to see how I did this one click the knitting stitch pattern tab to see the stitch pattern I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment